You may apply to become a Research Affiliate at anytime. The application includes the following documents:
• an exceptionally strong postgraduate (master’s) degree certificate qualifying you for PhD studies in political science, international relations, sociology, economics, law, or related disciplines
• proof of C1-level English language skills or the equivalent2
• an up-to-date CV
• a short letter of motivation (600 words maximum)
• a research proposal (5,000 words maximum) with a timetable for the dissertation project
• two letters of reference from professors at universities or research institutions
• an academic development plan, the so-called “curriculum”, to be developed together with the proposed supervisor. The curriculum should be designed to assist you in writing your thesis and is in addition to the thesis proposal.
The application must be supported by a supervisor at the BTS at the time of submission; it is the applicant’s responsibility to make contact with a potential supervisor and obtain his or her approval. Additional supervisors will be selected after admission.