BTS PhD candidates are either enrolled at the Hertie School of Governance or at Freie Universität Berlin. If your first supervisor is at the Hertie School of Governance, you will get your degree from the Hertie School. It is optional to also enrol yourself at Freie Universität Berlin, in this case. All other admitted students will be enrolled solely at Freie Universität Berlin.
After having handed in your documents to the Postgraduate Admissions Office, the PhD Committee at the Department of Political and Social Sciences will review your file and approve you for admission. Within three to five weeks from the time all documents are submitted you will receive an offer letter from the Postgraduate Admissions Office proving your eligibility to enrol as a PhD candidate at Freie Universität Berlin.
Within the following 30 days you will enrol via the Registration Office at Freie Universität Berlin in order to officially enrol as a PhD candidate. If you are not able to do so until after your offer letter has expired, contact the BTS Coordination Office. To enrol, please bring the following:
- Offer letter from the Postgraduate Admissions Office
- Completed enrolment application (included with your offer letter; see link below)
- Proof of health insurance
- Original and photocopy of ID card or passport (including your visa)
- Withdrawal certificate from your last (German) university (if applicable)
- Original documents:
- Master’s degree diploma or letter from your university (the master’s degree must be completed by 1 September at the latest)
- Proof of English language proficiency (C1 level) (only non-Native speakers and candidates whose master’s programmes were not taught in English)
- €320 enrolment fee (payable either in cash or by EC Card (German debit card))
For further information please see the enrolment application form (PDF).
After enrolment, you will receive your student ID, which provides you with many benefits on campus and in Berlin (ticket for public transport, cafeteria card, access to college sports, etc.). Since the student ID cards are issued for each winter and summer term, the first will only be valid from 1 October on.