Admission as Doctoral Candidate
Admission as a doctoral candidate and enroling at the BTS are organised as a two-step process. First, we need to check whether you have met all required conditions to start a PhD at the BTS and confirm the validity of the documents which were submitted electronically during the application process. This includes the following documents:
- Application form
- Master’s degree diploma – original (if you have not yet acquired your master’s degree diploma, a letter from your university confirming that you have completed the degree programme is sufficient).
- Proof of English language proficiency (for non-native speakers and candidates whose master’s degree programmes were not taught in English)
For Freie Universität Berlin PhD candidates, these documents must be submitted to Daphne Stelter at the Postgraduate Admissions Office (Prüfungsbüro) at the Department of Political and Social Sciences at Freie Universität Berlin. If you are not able to hand in the documents personally, you can send certified copies via post.
The BTS Programme Coordinators will submit the following documents on your behalf:
- Your CV (taken from your application)
- Your research proposal (taken from your application)
- Letter from your supervisor supporting your application and confirming your acceptance to the BTS programme
If you will be enrolled at the Hertie School of Governance, the enrolment process takes place in September and will be organised by the Hertie School’s PhD Office, which will be in touch with you in advance.